Thursday, August 23, 2012

Testing: Day 5


EUREKA!



DOG:
Syn
DATE:
08.23.2012
SCENT TYPE:  (clothing/saliva/swab/other)
spit
lpit

ORIGIN:
Donor 1
Donor 1

DATE OF CAPTURE:
06/09/2012
06/09/2012

AGE WHEN USED:
Day 2 of Sample 5 (HP 1)
Day 3 of Sample 1

SAMPLE CONDITION: (frozen/refrigerated/room temp/other)
Room temp
Room temp

SAMPLE STATE: (gauze/dental cotton/cloth/hydrated/other)
Cotton, soaked
Gauze/hydrated

INTENSITY:  (# of holes)
Cap, many holesOpen



CONTAINER TYPE:
Pill bottle in tin can



# of CONTAINERS:
6
6

6
6


# of SCENT OPTIONS:
3
3

3
3


MODE of PRESENTATION: (hand/surface/wheel/other)
wheel
wheel

wheel
wheel


SESSION:
1
2

3
4


Reps:
10
10

10
10


% Success Rate:
90
80

80
80


Time:



2:20
2:11


Description
A*
B*

C*
D*



ORIGIN of SAMPLE:  Tonic/clonic seizure; spit samples collected on cotton rounds).  Clonazepam given after 2 minutes of seizure activity.

COMMENTS: A*    I used 10 reps to build her up, in hand and on the floor, to the scent. She did some retrieving of the found bottle, but mostly alert-downed. Then I started the wheel reps. We had 1 false positive on the can the scent was in yesterday, she had to go around twice on a couple of reps, otherwise excellent. Her first actual finding of seizure scent? I don’t know. Could be that she’s alerting on the bottle we were just playing with, although I touched all the other bottles as well. Could be her own saliva she’s finding.

B*       I took the cotton out of the old bottle and put it in a new one. 2 false positives, both towards the end of the session (getting tired/habituated to a very light scent?), otherwise she had to work hard to find the scent but she found it and gave a very positive alert.

Could still be: the smell of cotton vs empty, the smell of Lynn’s distilled water… that’s all I can think of. BUT she couldn’t find frozen cotton, so I’m thinking this was an actual find. We’ll try again this evening and I’ll try to get some cotton to soak and put in the “bad” bottles.

C*       Fast, happy, eager. The errors at this point appear to be impatience and she’s not very good at lying. I can usually tell before she gets to a can she’s going to wrongly indicate because she’s assuming the position before she gets to it. Still has to be sure she’s breathing in at the right moment as she goes by a can (chewing and walking at the same time), so once in a while she misses and has to go around again (and sometimes doesn’t have the duration to last twice around the circle). Sometimes she catches it as she goes by, stops herself and goes back. Once in a while she does a drive-by, startles, and lies down beside the next can, but it was easy to tell which one she meant because she doesn’t even check the one she’s beside, and if I ask her which one, she always goes back to the right one.

D*       Same as C*. I’m stopping her and resetting when she tells fibs, but asking her which one she meant when she was just going too fast to stop beside the correct one. Resetting makes her concentrate better, asking again slows her down a bit and makes her more deliberate so she doesn’t overshoot.

One more day on this sample and we’ll move on to one of the clones.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting. The frozen dry Sample 1 was difficult if not impossible for Syn. But the room temp wet Sample 2 was identifiable. We'll never know what it is in the sample that she identifies until we make some comparative tests, but since we haven't done any of that yet, what IS (IMO) notable is that Syn recognizes something in sample over 2 months old. I guess these are things we will know more about as we work with sample from other donors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I’m stopping her and resetting when she tells fibs, but asking her which one she meant when she was just going too fast to stop beside the correct one. Resetting makes her concentrate better, asking again slows her down a bit and makes her more deliberate so she doesn’t overshoot."

    I'm glad to read this! I will start doing it with Lily as well.

    ReplyDelete