Monday, August 6, 2012

Scent Wheel: Day 4 and 5

DOG:
Syn
DATE:
08.05.2012
SCENT TYPE:  (clothing/saliva/swab/other)
Earl Gray tea bag
ORIGIN:
Cupboard
DATE OF CAPTURE:

AGE WHEN USED:
6 days
SAMPLE CONDITION: (frozen/refrigerated/room temp/other)
Room temp
SAMPLE STATE: (gauze/dental cotton/cloth/hydrated/other)
Dry tea bag
INTENSITY:  (# of holes)
Open
CONTAINER TYPE:
Pill bottle
# of CONTAINERS:
6
# of SCENT OPTIONS:
1 tea bag, 3 shredded paper, 2 kibble
MODE of PRESENTATION: (hand/surface/wheel/other)
Scent wheel
SESSIONS:
1


Description




Reps:
10

10 

% Success Rate:
100

80 

Time:
2:02

 3:58



ORIGIN of SAMPLE:

That was last night. No trouble at all.

Sometime later that evening, Syn got into the training room and sucked the kibble out of the 2 wheel bottles.

The next morning, she had a very hard time with the test (see below). She first alerted on the (replaced) kibble, then startled and went looking for the tea bag but had a very difficult time finding it. Finally found it.

The second time I sent her, she didn't alert on the kibble, but took 12 seconds to find the tea bag. I was starting to think it had outlived its usefulness when she finally found it, and had no difficulty whatsoever after that.

2 comments:

  1. Good new test! Adding 'powerful' distractions - only paying for the scent. And with an old sample, too! I think I would have added the kibble testing with a new teabag. Good for you, Syn! You rose to the occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder as we introduce new variables into our testing, if we should first test the strength of the scent for that particular day. And I wonder, too, if we should make it a part of the testing protocol, to do a "contamination test" of an empty wheel every time we introduce a fresh sample.

    ReplyDelete